Duck Confit - Two servings per pack. This is a wonderful thing to keep in your fridge for a quick and very easy supper that can be ready in minutes.
Duck legs are dry-cured with a blend of herbs and spices and are then cooked sous-vide with some extra duck fat and matured to allow the flavours to develop fully.
Here's how to prep your fast food duck confit:
- Pre-heat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/Gas Mark 7
- Pick off both the fat (which can be kept for roasting potatoes) and the jelly which should be reserved for making a sauce (if you like)
- Carefully separate the two legs and place them skin-side up on a non-stick baking sheet; cook in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the skin is golden brown
- While the legs are cooking heat the jelly in a saucepan until it is melted and add a tablespoon of crème fraiche, stir until it is dissolved and reaches boiling
- To thicken the sauce make a slurry of 1 dessertspoon of cornflour and some water and add slowly to the sauce whilst stirring (to prevent lumps from forming). You may not need all of the cornflour; just thicken the sauce to your own liking
- Remove the legs from the oven and serve on a bed of Puy Lentils or mashed potato, spoon over the sauce
An alternative idea is to make a classic French Duck Cassoulet; an excellent recipe can be found by James Martin on the BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/confit_duck_cassoulet_12263
Great Taste Awards 2020 - Judges' Notes
“...Utterly moist, tender and with just enough chew to keep your teeth busy! The salt level is spot on; it couldn't be better. The dry curing with the sea salt has made way for a buttery flesh which sings in your mouth and is completely fabulous...”
“...Duck with a beautifully soft texture, buttery and with plenty of flavour. The tenderness is commendable. The herbs and garlic come through but are not dominant - they play a part in the whole and add nuances to the duck meat...”
“...A very generous duck leg. The thigh is massive, very much the Chris Hoy of the duck world..!”
Capreolus Great Taste Awards 2020